<< Back to Lessons Index
6th Grade Science / Lesson 12 - Review for Unit 2 Exam
In this lesson, we are going to review vocabulary words for Unit 2 Exam.
|What will we be learning today?
- Cell : the basic unit of life
- Tissue : a group of similar cells working together at the same job
- Organ : a group of different tissues working together to do certain jobs
- Organ System : different organs working together to do certain jobs
- Organism : any living thing that can carry out its life activities on its own
- Cell Membrane : a cell's outer covering
- Nucleus : the densest part of a cell, which controls a cell's activities
- Chromosomes : a strand in the nucleus that stores directions for cell activities .Chromosomes fact like blueprints fro transferring information to the next generation of cells
- Cytoplasm : a gel-like substance inside the cell membrane, where most cell activities occur.Cytoplasm surrounds the nucleus and contains a large amount of water
- Mitochondria : a rod-shaped structure in the cytoplasm that supplies the cell with energy
- Vacuoles : a sac-like storage space in a cell's cytoplasm. Vacuoles can store such things as food and waste awaiting elimination
- Chloroplast : a green structure in a plant cell where food is produced. Chloroplasts contains the green pigment
- Cell Wall : a stiff covering outside the cell membrane of a plant cell
- Diffusion : the movement of molecules from areas of higher to lower concentration
- Passive Transport : the movement of molecules through a cell membrane without the use of energy
- Osmosis : the diffusion of water through a cell membrane
- Equilibrium : balance, such as an equal concentration fowater molecules on both sides of a cell membrane
- Photosynthesis : a process in producers that makes food by using sunlight
- Producer : any green plant or one-celled organism that can make its own food
- Respiration : the release of energy from sugar molecules
- Fermentation : a form of respiration without oxygen
- Mitosis : the division of the nucleus while a cell is dividing into two identical cells
- Interphase : the time in the cell's cycle spent growing and developing
|Let's Review What We Learned Today!
- Now go look over your notes and use the Unit 2 Guideline to help you study for the Exam!!