7th Grade Language Arts / Lesson 1: Reading Skills: Preview And Activate Prior Knowledge
Reading Skills Preview & Activate Prior Knowledge What Will I Learn Today?
2. Using prior knowledge (things you already know and have experienced)
"The Case of the Missing Necklace"
1. A necklace is missing.
2. The story is probably a mystery.
Having read other stories by the same author can help you make educated guesses about :
1. Writing style.
1. Pictures can give you clues about the story.
2. They may also make you think of questions. Try to find the answers as you read.
1. The first paragraph usually does these things :
1. Tells you where and when the story takes place
2. Introduces one or more character
3. May introduce the problem or conflict of the story
2. At this point, you are able to begin to ask Who? What? When? Where? & Why? about the story.
3. Looking for answers to these questions keeps you interested in the story and helps you understand it.
Activate Prior Knowledge
1. Does the title give me any clues to the subject of this story?
2. What is the subject of this story?
3. What do I already know about this subject?
4. Have I read about this subject before? What did I learn?
If so continue with the lesson!