<< Back to Lessons Index
7th Grade Social Studies / Lesson 13 - Invaders, Traders, and Empire builders
What will we be learning in this unit?
- How did ideas and technology spread?
- How did the Persians unite a huge empire?
- What contributions did the Phoenicians makes?
|Spread of Ideas|
- Warfare and trade helped spread ideas throughout the world.
- Some of the most important contributions in this time was the invention of wheeled vehicles, an alphabet, and ironworking to make weapons.
- All of these innovations are stilled used in society today.
| Persian Empire
- The Persian empire was able to conquer the largest territory ever seen during this time.
- The Persians were able to unite their empire by dividing the empire into provinces and appointing satraps (or governors) to help collect taxes and enforce laws.
- The Persians were also able to unite their empire with a good system of roads.
- The Persians also set up a system of coins to help make trade easier which is called a money economy.However, some traders still preferred the barter economy of exchanging one set of goods or services for another.
|Phoenician Sea Traders
- Instead of farming, the Phoenicians set up colonies to trade with other colonies. Colonies are territories settled and ruled by people from another land.
- The most important thing from the Phoenicians was their invention of an alphabet to record business transactions.