<< Back to Lessons Index
7th Grade Social Studies / Lesson 6 - Beginning of Civilizations
|What will we be learning in this unit?|
- How did the first cities emerge?
- What are the basic features of a civilization?
- How do cultures spread and change?
| The Rise of Cities|
- The first cities emerged after farmers began growing extra food which helped the population to grow.
- Cities grew along the riverbed because its source of water and because animals would drink from the river so they were easy to catch.
- Cities in America emerged as religious centers.
|Features of a Civilization|
- Organized Governments- someone to rule over the city and make decisions.
- Complex religions.
- Job Specialization- craft workers, bricklayers, merchants, singers, etc.
- Social Classes- People were ranked according to their job.
- Arts and Architecture.
- Public Works- irrigation projects, roads, bridges, defensive walls
- System of writing.
|Spread of Civilizations|
- As cities grew more powerful, it looked to expand beyond its borders. This is what began the city-states which are political units that include a city and its surrounding lands and villages.
- Soon, empires started. An empire is a group of states controlled by one ruler. Although the people being conquered were not treated great,empires created a common bond among people in the empire
|Interaction among people|
- Cultural Diffusion- the spread of ideas, customs, and technologies from one people to another. This happens through migration, trade and warfare.
- Migration-when famine, draught, or other disaster led to migration with others who lived differently
- Trade introduced people to new goods or better methods of producing items
- Warfare- winning armies would bring their way of life to the cities conquered.