<< Back to Lessons Index
7th Grade Social Studies / Lesson 7 - Ancient Kingdom of the Nile
|What will we be learning in this unit?|
- How did geography influence Egypt?
- What were the main features and achievements of Egypt's three kingdoms?
|The Geography of the Nile Valley|
- Yearly floods overflowed the river valley and helped bring rich soil to its land.
- Ancient Egypt used to be divided into two parts. Eventually the two parts became united and Egypt was able to use the Nile as a freeway to send supplies and people to wherever they needed to be.
- The Nile river was also used as a trade route for merchants.
|The three time periods in Egypty|
- Old Kingdom
- Middle Kingdom
- New Kingdom.
- What happened during each one?
- Very strong governments organized by pharaohs, or rulers.
- Pharaohs took pride in preserving justice and order.
- The main thing to remember about the Old Kingdom was this is when the pyramids were built.
- Power struggles, crop failures, and the cost to make the pyramids contributed to the end of the Old Kingdom.
- Middle Kingdom was turbulent. Crops did not grow well and part of the kingdom was overrun by invaders.
| New Kingdom|
- Egypt retook the land that was taken from them and looked to expand their territory.
- One of the most powerful rulers during this time was a woman pharaoh.
- After many years of fighting, the Egyptian empire began to decline. Many outside invaders wanted to take this land because of the Nile and the fertile soil.